Take Control for a Better Financial Future
By taking control, you can start your brighter financial future today.
Control Your Savings
- Maintain an emergency fund of at least three months of living expenses.
- Take advantage of automatic paycheck deductions and flex-spending plans.
- Increase your 401(k) contributions every time you get a raise.
Control Your Spending
- Never buy anything on impulse and comparison shop whenever possible.
- Keep cash in your wallet to a minimum.
- Eat at home and plan dinner menus in advance.
- Ignore the temptation to keep up with the Joneses.
- Don’t pay monthly service fees for your checking account.
- Reconsider costly habits like smoking, coffee, fast-food and lottery tickets.
- Don’t overspend on gifts.
- Review all recurring expenses like insurance, subscriptions and memberships.
Control Your Accounts
- Review your credit card/ account statements monthly.
- Avoid the use of payday loans to cover temporary financial shortfalls.
- Regularly check your credit report for errors, signs of fraud and identity theft.
- Open your bills when you get them and pay them on time.
- Read contracts before signing them.
Things to Remember
- Create a budget that includes savings goals.
- Admit your money mistakes and work to correct them.
- Occasionally reward yourself.